I’ve just released a small utility I’ve made. It ‘s named GroowinLauncher because it is made in Groovy and it creates a small icon in your taskbar to allow you to launch easily your favourite apps. Recently, I switched a lot from computers to computers having to modify a lot of files. I was tired to always have to bring my favourite softwares with me (namely Winmerge, Notepad++ and 7zip) to do my job. Moreover, my USB key is very slowwwwwwww & it was a pain to copy the softs. And, last but not least, I wanted to always have a Java & Groovy dev environment in order to be able to quickly develop small utility or batch process some files.
So I created my own launcher which:
- contains my favourite softwares & Java / Groovy environment
- is designed to be installed from slowww USB devices
- sits in the taskbar to allow to launch the softwares easily
- does not pollute the computer (it installs itself in Windows %TEMP% dir and that’s all)
- you can add your own app by editing a simple XML file and 7zipping it
Here’s how it looks:
So download this file: GroowinLauncher-1.0.zip and unzip it on your USB key. Then, when you want to install it on the %TEMP% dir of the computer, just double click on InstallToTMP.bat. It will automatically copy, unzip & run the required files, then launch the launcher (!).
If you ever need a Java or Groovy dev environment, just:
- run a command shell (start menu -> run -> cmd )
- type “cd /D %TEMP%\GroowinLauncher\”
- execute the setenv.bat command
- that’s it, you can run & use Groovy !
(tested on Windows XP SP2, the Groovy version provided is 1.5.4 & Java is Java6u3)